On Saturday June 17th, Beaumont Hospital Foundation launches it's first fundraising cycle - Glide
- which will cover the 212km route from Dublin to Galway in a day, to raise funds for mens cancer services at Beaumont Hospital. Leaving from Dublin in the early hours of the morning, this one day cycling challenge will offer two distances, 110km and 212km, to cater for cyclists of all levels with a final destination for both distances of Eyre Square in Galway.
The cycle is inspired by former patient, Fran McDermott, who was treated in Beaumont Hospital for testicular cancer when he was in his early twenties and again for thyroid cancer in his thirties. Fran focused his recovery from both cancers on getting fit and staying active and is a keen cyclist. Group 1 - Dublin to Galway, 212km
Departing from the Polo Grounds in the Phoenix Park at 6.00am on Saturday 17th June. Taking the route through the Strawberry beds and out into Kildare on well researched paved roads through the scenic countryside, utilising secondary and tertiary roads where there is minimal traffic to ensure an enjoyable ride. The terrain is fairly flat all the way with maximum elevation at 135 metres and a total height gain of 487 meters on this route.
Regular stops will be organised after each 25-30km for food and water and the cyclists will break for lunch (which will be supplied) at the midway point in Clara. Total journey time will be approx. 10 hours.Group 2 - Clara to Galway, 110km
Those opting to complete the shorter course will also meet at the startpoint in the Phoenix Park but later that morning. They will be bused with their bikes to the midway point in Clara from where they will start their cycle to Galway.
Following showers and dinner in Galway (approx. 20.30) all cyclists and their bikes will be transported by coach back to the Phoenix Park in Dublin.Cost of Taking part:
€360 made up of €110 in cost plus €250 in sponsorship:
- Team Glide cycling jersey
- Lunch and dinner
- Snacks along the route
- Back up vans with mechanical support and luggage transfers
- Transfer to Clara from Dublin for 110km participants
- Return transfer to Dublin by coach and return of bikes for all participants
- Fully researched route on quiet back roads
- One cycling guide for every 10 cyclists
We can supply you with all the advice, materials and any other assistance you may require to generate this funding. To talk to us about the challenge contact us on 01 - 8092161 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
.Download our application formRegistration closes on Friday 14th April.